Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pranks, Prom and a Mariachi Band

Friday was surreal.

It was the seniors' last day in school before they go off and do their Senior Projects, so they were kind of cutting loose. They had free dress this week (my school has a uniform) and I noticed that a couple of them were sporting minor dress code violations because c'mon, who's going to give them detention on their last day? (I, by the way, am a junior, just to put this in context.)

It was also the big day for pranks. When I got to the locker room, I saw that the hall adjacent to it had been carpeted in bubble wrap. Moreover, some kind of Mexican blanket had been hung over the door to the locker room, forcing everyone to duck under it or lift it up to get in. Later in the day balloons appeared, floating down the halls and bouncing into classrooms.

That wasn't their best prank, though.

The first interesting things I noticed as I walked into the main building was a piece of paper taped to the wall.

It big, bold, printed letters, it said Teachers' Wifi Password: **********. (Actual password not reprinted for security reasons.)

And it wasn't the only one. The password papers were taped up all over the school.

We have three wifi networks at the school: one that everyone used last year before the other two got set up, one for the students, and one for the teachers. The teachers' network is a lot faster than the students', and it doesn't ban websites like the student network does. Only the teachers and the seniors know the password.

Or at least, only the teachers and the seniors knew the password before Friday.

The dean of students was not happy. She went down the halls snatching the papers down from the walls. Then the seniors rescued them from the trash and put them back up when she was gone. Then she took them down again, but by that time it was too late. Everyone already knew the password.

But even that wasn't the best thing they pulled off. You won't believe the best thing.

My friends and I walked out of Religion class and heard some kind of commotion in the courtyard below. We were on this outside walkway on the second story of the building, so we were looking down on the people below. And holy cow.

There was this crowd of seniors dancing around in the courtyard. And they were dancing to the music of a mariachi band.

A mariachi band. 

Don't believe me? I got proof.





Pictures and video taken on my cell phone from a high vantage point.

The seniors hired them to follow the dean of students around all morning. Then when she went home for the day at lunch, the mariachi band just kind of wandered around the school with a crowd of seniors following them and serenaded the teachers.

More cell phone footage!


They were right in front of the doorway to the main building at the end of lunch.





Friday was the first and probably only time I'll ever get to say, "Sorry I'm late to class. I was held up by the mariachi band."

So yeah, we're going to have a hard time topping that when we're seniors next year.

And then that night was prom.

It was fun. I went to a friend's house for a little party beforehand and we all rode there in a limo. There were about twenty of us total, as most of the girls had dates.

The prom itself was on the roof of a car museum, so we had a really nice aerial view of the city. Honestly, I had a blast. I went alone and hung out with several of my best friends, including two seniors who I will miss so much when they've graduated! We didn't dance much, mostly just ate dinner and talked. The music was really, truly, brain-cell-killingly awful. Everyone looked beautiful in their fancy dresses. I wore this black dress that has several advantages: it's very comfortable, it's nylon so it doesn't wrinkle, and it's a classic so I can wear it to pretty much any formal event for the next fifty years. Such as next year's prom, for instance. :)

It was awesome just being with my friends, talking, joking, dancing a little bit to the horrible music, riding in the limo with slightly better music. I hope everyone else's prom was awesome too.



No comments:

Post a Comment